Lego® Serious Play® is a technique that was developed in 1996 by Bart Victor, Johan Roos (International Institute for Management Development, Switzerland) and Kjeld Kirt Kristiansen (CEO, LEGO® Group) as a way of facilitating high-level strategic planning sessions. It has since been used around the world by companies including Google, Mastercard, Samsung, Qantas, and Lion.
At its core, LEGO® Serious Play® is a tool for thinking better, and for having better conversations.
LEGO® Serious Play® uses abstraction to disrupt power-hierarchies and allow everybody to meaningfully contribute to collaborative processes. It doesn’t matter if you’re the world’s best architect or someone who has never used their hands to build anything, the intuitiveness of LEGO® levels the playing field and gives everybody the chance to explore ideas and express themselves through the pieces they assemble.
LEGO® Serious Play® can be applied to almost any challenge, but is an ideal facilitation option where:
- You are working with people with different levels of power or different backgrounds
- You need to facilitate difficult or complex conversations
- You are seeking to better understand an issue
- The answers you are seeking are not immediately obvious and require collaboration between a variety of stakeholders
- You are working with between 4 and 50 people and have a minimum of 2 hours.
We can work with you to co-design a LEGO® Serious Play® session, and help you unlock the benefits of this powerful collaborative tool.